GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL FACULTY ASSEMBLY
EARLY SPRING TERM MEETING
Tuesday, February 6, 2001, 3:00 PM Student Center Theater
1. Opening Remarks by the President.
2. Approval of minutes:
September 18, 2000, Meeting of the GFA and AS (combined meeting)
October 10, 2000, Meeting of the General Faculty Assembly
December 5th 2000, Meeting of the Academic Senate.
[For copies of these minutes see Note 1 below].
3. "Continuing Education at Georgia Tech". A review of the Institutional program presented by Joe DiGregorio and a discussion of practical experience presented by Ed Reedy.
Business of the Academic Senate:
4. Reappointment Promotion and Tenure:
(a) Proposal for changes to the Faculty Handbook.
(b) Discussion of the document titled "Recommended (Best) Practices".
[For copies of these documents see Note 3. Below]
5. Submission for approval of revised Student Rules and Regulations.
[For copies of this document see Note 4 below]
6. Approval of minutes of Standing Committees.
[For synopses and copies see Note 2 below]
(a) Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
(b) Graduate Curriculum Committee.
(c) Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee.
(d) Student Computer Ownership Committee.
7. Any Other Business.
Edward W. Thomas
Secretary of the Faculty
Jan. 31, 2001
(1) Copies of minutes of the GFA and of the AS can be found at
(2) Synopses of Standing Committee Minutes presented for approval.
(All minutes are to be found at http://www.facultysenate.gatech.edu/CommitteeMinutes.html)
Sept 13, 2000 (Core curriculum matters related to transfer credit, mostly in CS)
Sept 27, 2000 (Discussion of BoR General Education requirements, routine assessment of degrees, studies abroad program, other admin matters)
Oct. 11, 2000 (Student related matters)
Jan 17, 2001 (Minor curriculum corrections and changes from CEE, Music, CE, Arch. Core curriculum recommendation, and accelerated summer session recommendation for 2001)
December 7, 2000 (Student related matters)
Dec.13, 2000 (Student related matters)
Jan. 25, 2001 (BS-MS five-year program in ME; changes to Health Physics MS; Graduate Certificate for IPST students; changes to Master degree names Arch and Mgt).
Student Academic and Financial Affairs.
December 1, 2000 (Organizational matters)
Student Computer Ownership
January 22, 2001 (Proposed soft and hardware requirements for 2001)
(3) Student Rules and Regulations; revised version (mostly incorporates changes already agreed). For copies see: http://www.facultysenate.gatech.edu/FacSenR&R.html
(4) Reappointment Promotion and Tenure.
(a) Proposed changes to Faculty Handbook covering procedures, see
(b) Recommended (Best) Practices document, see