GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
The Executive Board
Meeting of February 13, 2001
Held in the Poole Board Room of the Wardlaw Building
Members Present :Abdel-Khalik (ME); Allen (Arch); Callen (ECE); El-Sayed (Chem); Estes (EDI); Hall (Bio); Jayaraman (Mgt); Richards (GTRI); Schwan (CoC); Swank (GTRI); Wardi (ECE); Welch (GTRI); Williamson (Liby); Clough (Pres.); Liotta (Vice Provost); Jenman (G.S. rep): Alexander (Staff Rep);: E.Thomas (SoF)
Members Absent: Boyd (Stu Servcs); McGuire (LCC); M.Thomas (Provost); Spriggle (Ugrad Stu Rep)
Visitors: Jilda Garton (GTRC ); Dina Hafez (Stu; representing Jenman); David Ku (ME); Barry Rosenberg (GTRC) Sue Rosser (IA); Mark Smith (Pres. Ofc); Ron Wagner (GTRI)
There was discussion about the order in which names are listed and it was suggested that an alphabetical listing might be more appropriate. It was moved that the suggestions by the Secretary be adopted without change and this was approved without dissent.
6. The Student Regulations Committee has requested that the words "Adopted by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents" be removed from section XXIII of the Student Rules and Regulations (Student Bill of Rights). The Secretary explained that this phrase may not be correct. The motion to approve removal was made and approved without dissent.
7. The Secretary noted for the record the following matters approved by e-mail ballot since the last meeting.
(a). Nominating committee shall consist of: Doug Allen (Arch-Chair), Russ Callen (EE-Co-Chair), Bill Sayle (EE), Nick Faust (GTRI), Jack Marr (Psy), Danny Boston (Econ), Craig Tommasello (Student) [Vote of 1/22/01]
(b)Statutes Committee proposals #1,2,4,5,6 and 7 in their report to the Board dated January 16, 2001 shall be put on the agenda for the Feb 27th meeting of the GFA.[Vote of 1/22/01]
(c) Jim Budd is appointed to replace Rita Gregory on the Graduate Curriculum Committee through Summer 2001 (at which time the position is up for election) [Vote of 1/17/01].
(d) Immediately implement the Statutes Committee proposal that persons appointed to vacant committee positions should serve for the period to which the previous incumbent was elected. [Vote of 1/17/01].
8. The Secretary noted that he would shortly request an e-mail ballot on the proposed formation of an "Institutional Review Committee" to oversee review of Academic programs.
9. The Chair called for any other business. There being none he closed the meeting at 9:00 PM.
Edward w. Thomas
Secretary of the Faculty.
February 22, 2001
Attachments to the Archival Copy of the Minutes.
(1) Proposed Slate of Candidates for the Spring 2001 elections.
[Copy to be found as item #8 at http://www.facultysenate.gatech.edu/ ]