GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
Tuesday, June 18, 2002, 3:00 pm
1. Introductory remarks. (President)
2. Approval Executive Board minutes of April 9, 2002.[See attachment 1].
3. Report by the Committee on “Distance Learning and IP Rights” (A subcommittee of Academic Services). Presented by Don Bohlander.
4. Presentation of Policies on the “Periodic Review of Chairs” and on the “Periodic Review of Deans” for inclusion in the Faculty Handbook. By Bob McMath.
5. Proposed charge to the “Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee” on the matter of “Grading Policy”. (Prepared by Marr and Wardi)
6. The responses from Standing Committees to the proposed “Policy on Religious Observances”.
7. A request that General Faculty Status be granted to Mary Kessler.
8. Administrative matters related to Faculty Governance and representations:
(a) Proposal that Jim Sowell (Physics) replace Larry Hodges (CoC — who has resigned from Tech) on the Academic Services Committee for Hodges’ full three year service period through 2005.
(b) Proposal that Tony Waselewski (GTRI-EOEML) replace Turgay Uzer (recently elected to the EB) on the Faculty Status and Grievance Committee; service to be for Uzer’s unexpired term (through 2004).
(c) Proposed plan for replacing Prateen Desai (who has retired) on the Faculty Status and Grievance Committee; service to be for Desai’s expired term (through 2003).
(d) Proposal that Pradeep Agrawal (ChE) replace Said Abdel Khalik (ME) as an Engineering College representative on the Executive Board. This to be effective July 1st when Abdel Khalik assumes the position as Secretary. Agrawal to serve the unexpired portion of Abdel Khalik’s term of service (through 2003) and be eligible to run for election to a full three year period in the 2003 elections.
(e) Proposal to form a Subcommittee of the Student Honor Committee.
9. Approval of minutes of the Student Activities Committee dated Jan 11, 2001 and March 2, 2001. (Not previously handled due to an oversight)
10. Any Other Business.
Edward W. Thomas
Secretary of the Faculty
June 12, 2002
Attachments: (to be distributed at the meeting)
(1) Minutes of the April 9 2002 EB meeting. [Pages 3 through 7]
(2) Proposed policy on “Periodic Review of Chairs” [Pages 8 through 10]
(3) Proposed policy on “Periodic Review of Deans”.[pages 11 through 13]
(4) Proposed Charge to the Student Academic and financial Affairs Committee on the matter of “Grading policy”. [Page 14]
(5) Standing Committee responses to the proposed “Policy on Religious Observances”. [Pages through 20]
(6) Request for GF status for Mary Kessler. [Pages 21 through 25]
(7) Proposal to form a Subcommittee of the Student Honor Committee. [Page 26]