Welfare and Security Committee
September 8, 2000
Members Present: Ski Hilenski (IAC), Lionel Lemarchand (ModL) , Meredith Robinson(UG Stu),Carole Moore (Provost), chair
Members Absent: Mary Ann Ingram (ECE), Frank Lambert (ECE), Robert Lang (GTRI-RSD), Gisele Welch (GTRI-EOEML)
1. The meeting was called to order at 3:15 p.m. by Carole Moore, Chair
2. New members were welcomed to the committee
3. The minutes of the 27 April meeting were read and approved
4. Issues discussed last year were reviewed. There was a sense from members that a strong foundation was laid in understanding the numerous issues related to welfare and security, but actions were limited.
5. The General Faculty Meeting of 19 September was discussed: faculty committees’ minutes from last year will be approved, but the emphasis will be strategic planning. (All of the minutes from last year are available via the web.)
Statutes stating the charge of the Welfare and Security Committee were distributed. It is clear from the Statutes that many areas (e.g., campus planning, parking, and Auxiliary Services) are under the purview of the committee. This led to a discussion of faculty governance and the upcoming presentation to the Executive Board on October 24 and the role the committee plays.
7. Last year it was suggested that we post our activities on the website and solicit suggestions for areas of concern. We will see if it is feasible.
8. The floor was opened for nominations for committee chair. Carole Moore was selected.
9. The next Welfare and Security Committee meeting will be in preparation for the October 24 presentation to the Executive Board.
10. Action Items:
(a). Carole will speak with Chief Vickery regarding physical safety issues in the workplace
(b). Carole will invite Rod Weis, Director of Parking, to attend a future meeting
11. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:05 p.m.