Welfare and Security
April 12, 2002
Members Present: Tom Akins (CO-OP), Frank Lambert (ECE), Lionel Lemarchand (ModL), Gail Palmer (ECE), Carole Moore (ACAD SVC), Chair, Barbara Henry (OSP), Ex-Officio
Absent: Mary Ann Ingram (ECE), Stephen Popick (U Student)
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:35 am by Carole Moore, Chair.
2. The minutes from the February 11 meeting were read and approved.
3. Akins reported on the latest Parking Committee meeting.
4. Lemarchand provided information on the progress of the Diversity Subcommittee.
5. The policy on religious absences was reviewed. A discussion ensued on the possibility for abuse, how absences would be verified, how official excuses would be obtained and how the policy would be enforced.
6. Moore reported that there are security issues at North Avenue Research Complex. Some of the security issues discussed were the five thefts that have taken place since November 2001 that included copper piping removal, the limited site of security cameras and continually decreasing number of hours that there are officers on-site.
7. There was a brief discussion on faculty governance. Due to time restraints, the committee tabled discussion until next meeting.
8. The next Welfare and Security Committee meeting will be April 22, 2002 at 9:00 am.
9. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:25 am.