Welfare and Security Committee
February 19, 2007
Research Administration Building Boardroom
WSC Members Present: Jilda Garton, Chair (GTRC); Jane Weyant (COE); Tom Akins (DOPP) ex-officio; Hal Irvin (OOD); Matthew Noury (GTRI ITTL); Carole Moore (VPAA). Special guests: Charlie Brown (GTRI); Lee Zacarias ( EH & S).
The WSC approved the Minutes from January 8, 2007.
Following the Agenda
1. Copies of letters written to Rosalind Meyers and the Provost will be provided by Jilda.
2. Jilda spoke on the changes occurring with the Environmental Health and Safety Council. She introduced guest speaker Lee Zacarias who gave an overview of each committee, changes occurring and responsibilities. (See attached hand-outs).
3. Guest speaker Charlie Brown spoke about Export Controls effects on universities and GT. Three major concerns of export control: ITAR, EAR, OFAR. The biggest challenge seems to be educating faculty and students on foreign travel, foreign visitors, controlled technology, equipment/computer transport and emailing between colleagues. For more information on export controls, check out the website at www.Export.edu. Jilda invited WSC to the Deemed Export meeting being held at GT on May 2nd, 2007 @ GTRI conference center.
4. A copy of the letter sent to advocate the Motorize Cart Policy will be provided by Jilda.
5. Received an email from the SGA president Alison Grabb, with information on the campus safety walk is scheduled for April 17th at 7:00pm. They are still in the planning phases of this and the contact person is Bobby Beaulieu.
The next meeting is scheduled for March 12, 2007 @ 3 pm in RAB's boardroom.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:04 p.m.