Welfare and Security Committee
December 11, 2006
WSC Members Present: Jilda Garton, Chair (GTRC); Jane Weyant (COE); Tom Akins (DOPP) ex-officio; Carole Moore (Provost's Office); Hal Irvine (ODD); Matt Noury (GTRI); Gail Palmer (ECE). Special guest: Rosalind Meyers (Aux Srvcs); Robert Furniss (Dir-Parking & Transportation); James Hembree (Public Safety Captain).
1. The WSC approved the minutes from November 27, 2006
a. Correct spelling of Tom Akins name.
b. Correct the sentence in #4, add (s) to exist - making exist plural. No policy currently exists for student to faculty; the existing code of conduct should address the situation.
c. Distributed a copy of Golf Cart Committee recommendations from Nov. 27th meeting.
2. Rosalind Meyers Parking 1995 Parking part of Police department - started building parking and transportation department.
1998- Hired first parking director
1995 4 parking structures currently have 11 parking structures
The first structure cost $11 K most recent cost 16 K/ per space
Annual debt service of parking went from $800 K/yr. to $ 5 M/yr.
Parking budget for FY08 $10 M; half is debt service. (each parking deck space cost more to operate (elevators, sanitation, lights, drainage, etc.).
Parking staff add to cost students used to do enforcement; no infrastructure/technology and database.
First project was the T2 System (current database and web interfaces, which needs to upgraded).
1. Gated using buzz cards (cut down on towing cars).
2. On-line ticket appeals
3. web-based registration
In 2001, proposed a presentation to Dr. Clough to get rid of multiple rates and get to a single rate of $500 to reduce parking debt. After FY2005 we would commit to only 3% rate increases. Rosalind was overruled by higher administration, but proposed 3% increases.
Reviewed budget for parking (hand-outs)
· New ways to generate monies for parking (special events, AA, games, equipment.). Game Day Parking: AA (athletic Association) 1/3 of spaces available for faculty. AA and GIF pay for their use of parking. Permits holders are allowed to use any GT parking decks (governed by Parking & Transportation) after 5 pm or on the weekend you can get in any gated lot or Tech Square deck using buzzcard.
- New Cash lot access from Book Store
- Credit card receptor
- Tech Square/GLC
- Pay on foot @ Burge
· Maintenance (utilities, service, equipment).
· New decks - in the next 5 years parking will need 2 more decks.
· Working to get the State of Georgia to give off-campus citations.
Structural Engineering Consultant
Peters- poor to fair
10 yr. plan for maintenance
Annual maintenance plan
This will be folded into 10 yr Capitol Plan
Georgia Tech Master Plan
2001 60 K people Transit
2006 2.3 M people Transit
Parking funds do not cross subsidized any other activity
Howard Wethermen replaced Les Saunders
Ray Vito is Faculty Co-chair of PTAC.
The next schedule meeting is February 12, 2007 @ 3 pm in RAB's Boardroom. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned @ 5:10 p.m.