Welfare and Security
13 May 2002
Members Present: Tom Akins (CO-OP), Frank Lambert (ECE), Gail Palmer (ECE), Carole
Absent: Mary Ann Ingram (ECE), Lionel Lemarchand (ModL), Stephen Popick (U
1. The meeting was called to order at by Carole Moore, Chair.
2. Henry and Moore reported on the ADVANCE Conference. The ADVANCE grant should help with the efforts to provide and tenure faculty women.
3. Discussed the issue of mentoring as a key factor in retaining minority faculty. It was concluded that the various mentoring practices currently being used should be compiled and shared within the Institute. A recommendation will be made to the Executive Board.
4. After extensive discussion and research it was agreed that the Committee would recommend to the Executive Board that it review the issue of faculty governance. The chair will draft a recommendation.
5. The lack of decision making authority in the Parking Committee needs to be addressed. A recommendation will be made to Rosalind Meyers, Auxiliary Services.
6. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at