Welfare and Security Committee

Minutes

February 24, 2000

 

Present: Julie Sinor (GTRI-ITTL), Gary Parker (ISyE), Frank Lambert (ECE), Robert Lang (GTRI-RSO), Meredith Robinson (UG Stu), Chief Jack Vickery (Police) (guest), Carole Moore (Provost), chair

Absent: Gisele Welch (GTRI-EOEML), Caroline Clower (Grad. Stu), Jim Cannady (GTRI-ITTL)

 

  1. The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. by Carole Moore, chair.
  2. The minutes of the January 27 meeting were read and approved.
  3. Chief Jack Vickery from the Campus Police Department came and spoke about the state of campus safety. He distributed a handout of campus safety statistics. One issue noted is that they are not fully staffed. It is hard to find qualified persons for officer positions. He also noted the very small difference of crime between 1998/1999 years. Only 11% of all the calls that are received are crime related. The solvability of crimes is about 15% to 20%. The issue of campus lighting was also addressed; there are still areas that need improvement. The buses and other escort services were also discussed. There are staffing problems with these services because of a lack of students to work. Carole raised the issue of the 3rd Street tunnel and Chief Vickery stated that it would improve safety if it were closed.
  4. Bob Lang gave a report on the last parking meeting. Participation in the meetings has dropped significantly. Patricia Burton from Housing has been moved to Business Manager for Parking. At the last meeting they showcased the new web page. All registration will now be done online. People will have from April 15-June 16 to register vehicles. Towing and booting are being enforced due to a high dollar amount of outstanding tickets. Parking fees will go up 7-9% on the average. Parking fees will be subject to the 125 pretax plan. They are planning to extend the hours of the parking attendant for the visitor lot on Ferst Drive.
  5. Action Items:
  6. a. Carole will look into closing the tunnel.

    b. Carole will speak with April Brown and see if she would like to attend a meeting after the General Faculty meeting on February 29.

    c. Carole asked the committee to think about the nature of this committee, the best way for it to serve the faculty, and to begin to think about what is expected of them. This is to prepare for the report to the Executive Board on October 24, 2000.

  7. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:05 a.m. The next meeting will be at 10:00 on March 23, 2000.

 Attachment I - Agenda and Handouts