Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meeting
March 13, 2002
Members Present: Dowling (COA), Ferri (ME), Finkelstein (PHYS), George (Student), Guzdial (COC), Hughes (ECE), Kingsley (PUBP), Lacey (MATH), McIver (REG), McMath (Provost), Schneider (DCOM), Wills (ECE)
Visitors:† DiSabatino (ODOS), Sung (Legal)
1. Four students appealed previously denied petitions. Two appeals were approved and two were denied.
2. The School of Public Policy requested approval of a program of study for the undesignated Bachelor of Science degree for Matthew Brown.†† A motion was made to approve the request.† The motion was seconded and approved.† Unanimous.
3. The School of Public Policy requested approval of a program of study for the undesignated Bachelor of Science degree for Jeremy Farris.†† A motion was made to approve the request.† The motion was seconded and approved.† Unanimous.
4. Chairman Hughes discussed Core Area B and possible modifications.† The following options were discussed:
Continue with the one CS course with no exceptions,
Require a CS course that is approved by the major school, or
Change Core Area B to free elective and have department demonstrate how computing general education requirements are to be met.
Following extensive discussion, Hughes agreed to draft a memo based on the discussion for the departmentsí consideration.† The memo will be brought back to the committee for review prior to distribution.
5. The Committee discussed a request from the Executive Board to review a proposed policy concerning excused absences for religious holidays.† Hughes will draft a response to the Executive Board.
M. Jo McIver