Student Academic & Financial Affairs Committee
September 22, 2005
Minutes of Meeting
Present: Greg Corso (Psych), Cheryl Gaimon (Mgt), Patty Sobecky (Biol), Linda Cabot (OIT) Executive Board Liaison, Ed Omiecinski (CoC) Chair
Guests: Ralph Mobley, Director of Career Services
Absent: Registrar, Undergraduate and Graduate student representatives
1. The meeting was called to order by Ed Omiecinski at 2pm, in the J.S. Coon building, room 148.
2. The minutes from the August meeting were distributed and approved by the committee.
3. Ralph Mobley, Director of Career Services, gave an overview of the resources and programs for students and employers that his department provides. Some of the topics covered were the following:
- career counseling
- mock interviews
- career fair
- online tools and services, such as Monster Trak
It was also pointed out that state resources for Career Services are limited to salary expenses only. Committee discussions dealt with the perception that companies have about GT as being a resource for potential employees in the engineering and computer fields and not necessarily a resource for science oriented jobs. A discussion of how Career Services evaluates it performance was touched on briefly before the meeting time expired. Additional time will be taken at an upcoming meeting to discuss this in more detail.
4. A November 17 meeting date was added to the committee's calendar.
5. The next Committee meeting will be held October 20, 2005.
6. The meeting was adjourned at 3:15pm.