Academic Services Committee
September 12, 2006
Members Present: Robert Braga (CHEM), Jeffrey Donnell (ME)(Chair), Nancey Green Leigh (CRP), Margaret Loper (GTRI), Jane Weyant (CoE).
Members Absent: Kent Barefield (CoS) , Jim Sowell (PHYS), Myrtle Turner (GTRI).
Visitor: Donna Llewellyn, Director of the Georgia Tech Center for Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL)
1. The meeting came to order at 1:05 p.m. on September 12, 2006 in the College of Engineering Conference room, in Tech Tower.
2. Donna Llewellyn gave an overview of CETL, calling attention to the numerous programs that are now offered, including:
· Orientations for new faculty at GT
· Orientations for new teaching assistants at GT; 183 TAs took advantage of the teaching assistant orientation in the most recent offering.
· Teaching fellowships for Junior Faculty, which are available upon application from the faculty member, and teaching fellowships for tenured faculty members. These faculty fellowships are further described at this address: http://www.cetl.gatech.edu/services/faculty/tfs.htm
· Other faculty seminars and services, such as classroom observation and videotaping are described at this address: http://www.cetl.gatech.edu/services/faculty/services.htm
· CETL provides credit courses for graduate students and for teaching assistants, with writing and presentation courses developed for international students. Information about these offerings can be obtained at http://www.cetl.gatech.edu/courses/gradcourses.htm
· CETL continues to coordinate the GT Course/Instructor Opinion Survey; bugs in this survey that were observed during Spring term have been fixed.
· CETL provides support for classroom technologies, such as Horizon-Wimba, and WebCT. Donna noted that WebCT will be discontinued after Spring, ’07, to be replaced by either Vista or Sakai. Decisions are pending as to which system will be used and how resources will be migrated to that new system.
· Upon request, CETL will also provide consultations on questions of pedagogy, assessment, scholarship on teaching and learning, instructional technology and the like.
3. The next meeting of the Academic Services Committee will take place on October 10, at 1:00 p.m. in room 405 of Tech Tower. The guest will be Deborah Greene, Interim Director of Capital Planning at Georgia Tech.
4. The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.