Student Academic & Financial Affairs Committee
April 11, 2007
Minutes of Meeting
Present: Greg Corso (Psych), Patty Sobecky (Biol), Reta Pikowsky (Registrar),
Ed Omiecinski (CoC)
Absent: Augustine Esogbue (ISYE), Mo Li (MSE)
Guest: Ruperto Perez (Director of the GT Counseling Center)
1. The meeting was called to order by Ed Omiecinski at 11AM, in the J.S. Coon building, room 150.
2. Rita Pikowsky initiated a discussion on the role of the Registrar in the process of excusing student absences for GT sanctioned activities. In 2000 the SAFA committee did not meet and essentially handed off the approval of student absences to the Registrar. The committee agreed that this activity should have faculty involvement but also realized that the Registrar's Office and the Office of the Dean of Students have necessary information for the committee to approve any absence. The current process is not well defined and the committee agreed that the next meeting should bring together all three parties to define this process and their roles.
3. Dr. Ruperto Perez, Director of the Georgia Tech Counseling Center, gave an overview of the programs and services that his office provides. Some of the highlights included the following:
- the Counseling Center is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services
- the Center is staffed by licensed mental health professionals
- the Center provides a wide range of short-term counseling services to individual students at no charge
- the Center also provides group counseling, e.g., support groups, therapy groups, etc.
- the Center presents a number of outreach workshops on topics such as stress management, managing anxiety, etc.
- the Center provides after-hours and emergency services
- the Center provides a postdoctoral training program and is in the process of transitioning to a predoctoral internship program
4. The meeting was adjourned at 12PM.