Student Academic & Financial Affairs Committee
October 25, 2007
Minutes of Meeting
Present: Greg Corso (Psych), Patty Sobecky (Biol), Reta Pikowsky (Registrar), Matt Peeples (UG Student), Ruperto Perez (Counseling), Ed Omiecinski (CoC)
Absent:† Augustine Esogbue (ISYE), Mo Li (MSE), Kapil Gupta (Grad Student)
The meeting was called to order by Ed Omiecinski at 10AM, in the J.S. Coon building, room 150.
The agenda for the meeting centered on the process of approving excused student absences.† For the last several years, the Registrar's Office has been responsible for excusing student absences.† This task was outsourced to the registrar by the SAFA committee informally several years ago but without specifying any fixed procedure or guidelines.† †The committee agreed that the Registrarís Office was the best organization to approve student absences in conjunction with the Dean of Students due to the information accessible by those offices.†† Reta Pikowsky provided sample documents that are typically submitted to her office by GT athletic teams when asking for excused absences for team members along with the eligibility requirements for participation in extracurricular activities. †The committee brought up several issues that need to be part of a uniform procedure for excusing absences that included the following:
1) Requests for excused absences must be submitted 14 days in advance.
2) The number of consecutive absences in a semester must be less than or equal to 5 days.
3) The total number of absences in a semester must be less than or equal to 10 days.
4) If the requests for excused absences exceed these guidelines then the Registrarís Office must forward the request to this committee.
5) The policy on excused absences should be shown on the web sites of the Office of the Registrar and the Dean of Students.
Reta Pikowsky agreed to produce a draft of the procedure incorporating these guidelines for the next committee meeting.†† At that time, a vote would be taken to accept this procedure and to forward it to the GT Academic Senate requesting this change be made to the institute statutes.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:45AM.