Academic Services Committee
October 5, 2005
Members Present: Carol Colatrella (LCC), Jeffrey Donnell (ME), Joseph Hoey (OARS), Jim Sowell (PHYS).
Members Absent: Robert Braga (CHEM), Maureen Kilroy (Grad Office), Nancey Leigh (ARCH), Myrtle Turner (GTRI), Jane Weyant (CoE). The SGA representative is TBD.
Visitors: John Mullin, Associate VP for Information Technology,
Teshia Young Roby, OIT.
1. The meeting came to order at 1:10 p.m. on October 5, 2005 in Conference Room #208 of the 430 10th St., North building.
2. John Mullin and Teshia Roby gave an overview of the software resources that are available to GT faculty for classroom use. Much of the discussion focused on planned changes to WebCT. The following points were made:
· OIT is moving to replace the current WebCT with WebCT Vista 4, which offers an instructor enhanced navigate abilities and better administrative control. The changeover is currently slated for Summer, 2006. Those courses that are currently presented using WebCT Version 4 are expected to migrate easily to Vista. Volunteer users are being sought.
· Horizon Wimba is now available as a plug-in to WebCT. Horizon Wimba is a virtual classroom tool that allows live classes, online office hours, speaking and listening exercises, online language labs, and ongoing discussions.
· With Vista, as with WebCT, the faculty time commitment required for managing courses remains an open issue. It would be helpful for each department to designate a staff member to fill the role of expert in learning management tools. OIT provides basic guidelines for using WebCT at (http://webct.gatech.edu).
· OIT is responsible for the computer and projection equipment in many GT classrooms. OIT strives to replace this equipment on a three-to-four year cycle, as technology fee funding permits.
· OIT provides access to a variety of other software tools at (http://www.oit.gatech.edu/software). Among the programs available at this location are Maple 10, Mathematica 5.2, Microsoft Office Professional Enterprise Edition, Frontpage 2003, and Visual Studio.NET 2003.
· Faculty members and students can obtain AutoCAD and Matlab from the ECS Software site (http://www.ecs.gatech.edu/software).
· Faculty members and students can obtain summaries of the software currently installed on the Library West Commons Image:
3. The next meeting of the Academic Services Committee will take place at 1:00 p.m. on November 2, 2005 in the Library’s 10th floor conference room.
4. The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 p.m.
Jeffrey Donnell, Secretary