Academic Services Committee
October 7, 2004
Members Present: Mary Clark (SGA), Jeffrey Donnell (ME), Joseph Hoey (OARS), Tom Horton (GTRI), Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Jim Sowell (PHYS), Myrtle Turner (GTRI), Jane Weyant (CoE).
Members Absent: Carol Colatrella (LCC).
1. The meeting came to order at 1:05 p.m. on October 7, 2004.
2. Tom Horton summarized the Executive Board’s recent efforts to update and disseminate the Institute’s published procedures. The results include:
Updates to the Faculty Handbook, available at http://www.academic.gatech.edu/handbook/;
Changes to the IRB process, available at http://www.osp.gatech.edu/IRB/guidelines_and_policies/guidelines.htm.
3. Joseph Hoey gave an overview of the SACS Accreditation process.
The current SACS Accreditation review of Georgia Tech has two components, each organized around a report prepared by Georgia Tech. The first report presents Georgia Tech’s certification of compliance with SACS requirements; this report is provided electronically to the SACS team, which reviews the report from an offsite location. The second report presents Georgia Tech’s Quality Enhancement Plan; this report will be examined during a visit from the SACS team later in the current academic year.
Georgia Tech’s Office of Assessment presents a complete overview of the SACS Accreditation process and of The Institute’s reports at http://www.assessment.gatech.edu/SACS/index.php.
4. Following up on the Academic Services Committee’s study of problems with classroom space at Georgia Tech, Co-Chair Jim Sowell spoke to Vice Provost Robert McMath and reports that space problems have so far been worked out with the individual departments.
5. Suggestions were taken for topics to pursue and speakers to invite to subsequent meetings of the committee. Among them were these: faculty governance at GTL and GTREP, the introduction of a wireless Personal Response System into GT classrooms, student governance and student concerns at GT, Library and innovations and rare books, Ferst Center, the Campus Recreation Center, English Language improvement and Visa issues for international students, Foreign Languages development (Phil McKnight might be invited to speak on this last topic).
6. The next meeting of the Academic Services Committee will take place on November 4, 2004 at 1:00 p.m.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.
Jeffrey Donnell, Secretary