Welfare and Security Committee
Van Leer Room W218, 2:30PM
WSC Members Present: Jane Weyant, (COE), Frank Lambert (ECE) Chair, Carole Moore (Provost), Catherine Covington (Student), Tom Akins (DOPP) Ex-officio.
Guests: Vic Rachael, Fire Safety Coordinator, Teresa Crocker, Director of Security and Police; Bob Lang, Director of Homeland Security, Bob Furniss, Director of Parking and Transportation
1. The minutes of our February 8, 2005 meeting were approved as presented.
2. Emergency Preparedness Emergency Operations Plans are now in place for most of the buildings. Each building has a Coordinator with their Red Book emergency plan. Audits and inspections are scheduled to begin in the near future. There will be an annual fire drill for each building.
A grant application has been made for a campus wide emergency notification system. The system will be able to deliver instructions to the entire campus or just specific areas based upon the emergency.
3. Unsafe Spots on Campus Several problem locations were identified. The annual night walk around campus with Dr. Clough will be held on April 18 at 7:00PM to identify security issues. All of our committee is invited to participate in the walk.
4. Automatic External Defibrillators Bob Lang will assist in acquiring information on AEDs and developing an initial campus deployment plan for discussion at our next meeting.
5. Violence Against Women Gail Palmer has attended her first VOICE meeting and will be working as our liaison with the task force.
6. Parking Budget Bob Furniss reported that a decision has been made to increase parking permit fees 4% for next year to help with the budget deficit. Debt service on the new decks is the primary cause.
7. Motorized Carts This item has been referred to the Executive Board for review.
8. Meeting Schedule - Our next meeting will be scheduled for the week of April 25-29.