Student Computer Ownership Committee Meeting

March 27, 2002

 

Members Present: Gregory Abowd (CoC, chair), Kathy Tomajko (Library), Gene Germanovich (student), Dan Morrison (Housing), Chris Donovan (student), Miles Edson (Housing/ResNet), , Matthew Realff (CHE)

Members Absent: Linda Cabot (OIT, excused), Jim McClellan (ECE, excused), Eric Carlen (Math, excused), Maxine Wright (bookstore, excused)

Visitors: Chris Donovan, Scott Riggle (OIT, for Linda Cabot), Teshia Young (OIT), Melissa Bachman (CETL)

 

The following items were discussed:

1)  Action Items from last meeting were discussed:

a)  Gregory Abowd: communicate decision of SCOC on two requests by College of Computing to alter software recommendation suite. DONE

b)  Linda Cabot: Make sure SCO Web site is updated to indicate incompatibility of Netscape 6.x with Banner online registration system. Done

c)  Matthew Realff: draft letter to be sent to Ed Thomas soliciting opinions from general faculty on the need to provide PDF utilities to students as part of the recommended software suite. Not done, but there is growing information on various platforms. Linda will give follow-up.

d)  Linda Cabot: Investigate and report back to this committee on availability of PDF tools on the prism system supported by OIT. The results of this will be turned into a Q&A on the SCO Web site. None on prism, unreliable for prism. There is a FAQ page off OIT faq.oit that explains this.

2)  MatLab and MacOS. An instructor in ECE pointed out that the latest version of MatLab (6.x) was not supported for MacOS 9.x, which is a concern for the

recommended software suite. However, we have been informed that MatLab will support MacOS X and version 5.3.1 of MatLab does run on MacOS 9.x.

Action Item: Matthew Realff will follow up on this issue with the campus rep for MatLab.

3)  Mathematica sales reps have contacted the university about a site license. OIT is pursuing the matter.

4)  PDF utilities. There are a growing number of freely available PDF utilities for students to use. OIT should put together FAQ on available PDF utilities on various platforms and link this from the SCO site and other relevant places.

5)  Cost of SCO to the campus. Matthew Realff reviewed a presentation he made last year to the Executive Board. One of the important points of this presentation are

the different entities that are impacted financially by the decision to require student computer ownership. The major organizations that are impacted by these costs are Housing, OIT, and, to a lesser extent, CETL. Dan Morrison reported that recently Housing and OIT presented a case to the Provost concerning the upcoming costs of necessary infrastructure improvement. It is the opinion of this committee that we must try again to present this case to the Provost, with the message coming from the faculty-lead SCOC and not just Housing and OIT alone.

Action Item: Gregory Abowd will approach the Provost to see if he will listen to another presentation by SCOC on the cost of student computer ownership. If he agrees, this committee will meet again to discuss the strategy for presentation.

6)  Campus Common Spaces. Kathy Tomajko brought a handout that describes the redesign of the library common spaces. The spaces will have collaborative

workstations (across PC 65 and Mac 15) and multimedia workstations (20, majority of which are Mac, with special software). SCO software will be available on all machines, as well as some special purpose software. Students will be able to connect laptops to wired and wireless network access points. The space

will have 24 hour access This area is serving as model for the new learning center common spaces as well, which will be larger, but of unknown size. One

interesting point brought up by Matthew Realff is that there should be some consideration for providing students a way to lock down their laptops temporarily

in this space. OIT and Housing also noted that with the growing number of public-access network access points, the campus really needs to create a uniform

authentication scheme.

7)                   April 23 Academic Senate meeting. Gregory Abowd is unable to attend this meeting to present for approval the minutes of the last 2 SCO meetings. Kathy Tomajko will represent this committee on Gregory’s behalf.

Action Item:

Gregory Abowd will contact Ed Thomas to let him know Kathy Tomajko will represent SCOC.

Action Items:

·  Matthew Realff will follow up on this issue with the campus rep for MatLab.

·  Gregory Abowd will approach the Provost to see if he will listen to another presentation by SCOC on the cost of student computer ownership. If he agrees,

this committee will meet again to discuss the strategy for presentation.

·  Gregory Abowd will contact Ed Thomas to let him know Kathy Tomajko will represent SCOC.