THE UNDERGRADUATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Members Present: Dowling (COA), Ferri (ME), Finkelstein (PHYS), Guzdial (COC), Hughes (ECE), Kingsley (PUBP), McIver (REG), Sankar (AE), Schneider (DCOM), Wills (ECE)
1. A motion was made to approve the minutes of the July 18, 2001 and August 1, 2001 meetings. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
2. Joe Hughes discussed organizational issues concerning the Committee. The first issue concerned the size of the Committee. After discussion, a motion was made to recommend to the Executive Board that the size of the Committee be increased to approximately sixteen members. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
3. In order to distribute the workload of the Committee, it was agreed that for meetings dealing with petitions, only 4-5 members would meet to hear petitions. These members would be responsible for hearing petitions for one term. A new group will be selected for Spring. Mark Guzdial, Gordon Kinsley and Scott Wills will be in the Fall group. The Chair and Secretary will attend all petition meetings.
4. David Finkelstein and Lakshmi Sankar agreed to serve as the representatives from the UCC to the Studies Abroad sub-committee.
5. Scott Wills reported that the General Education Committee was working on a revised report. This report will be circulated to all academic areas for discussion. Target date to present the final version to the Executive Board is January 15, 2002 and to General Faculty Assembly/Academic Senate on February 5, 2002.
6. The Committee discussed the rules for academic standing and the required GPA for graduation. A motion was made that the Chair strongly recommend to the Student Rules and Regulations Committee that the cumulative GPA required for graduation be 2.00. This requirement should go into effect for students entering Fall 2001. In addition, the committee suggested that Student Rules and Regulations consider changing the academic standing rules. Suggestions for changes included: Freshman 1.70, Sophomore 1.85 or 1.90, Junior 1.95 and Senior 2.0. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
7. There was discussion concerning certificate programs based on activities other than academic work. The committee felt that certificates should be based only on academic work. Joe Hughes will convey the Committee’s discussion to Bob McMath and Harvey Charles.
8. Joe Hughes circulated a proposed meeting schedule for 2001-2.
M. Jo McIver