MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE GRADUATE COMMITTEE
February 3, 2000
Present : DeWeerth (ECE), Fisk (PSY), Hayes (ECE), Hertel (ME), Jagoda (AE), Omiecinski (ECE), Parsons (DCOM), Peters (Student), Peterson (ECE), Rodgers (CEE)
Visitors: Berthelot (ME), Hertling (ECE), Kilroy (Grad Studies), Riggins (DCOM), Wepfer (ME), Wileman (ME), Winer (ME)
1. The minutes of the October 21, 1999 meeting were approved. The minutes of the December 9, 1999 minutes were approved as corrected.
2. The chairman announced that the Executive Board, acting on behalf of the Academic Senate, approved the following degrees at the January 18, 2000 meeting:
MS in Bioinfomatics
PhD in Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization
MS in Quantitative and Computational Finance.
3. A proposal was made by the School of Mechanical Engineering and the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering to allow a score of 750 on the TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) to be substituted for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for students entering the Georgia Tech Lorraine program. After discussion the following motion was made:
A TOEIC score of 750 can be substituted for the required TOEFL score for GTL students if the sending institution administers and requires the TOEIC test. This substitution will be allowed for two years. After two years, an assessment will be made to determine if the TOEIC should be used for other degree programs. The motion was seconded and approved.
4. Fred Riggins, from the Dupree College of Management, presented the Graduate Certificate in Electronic Commerce. After discussion the motion was made to approve the certificate with the stipulation that the College of Management would submit a course request for the required Special Topics course, Marketing in Online Environments, at the March 2, 2000 meeting of the Graduate Committee. The motion was seconded and approved.
5. Executive Board has requested that the chair of the Graduate Committee make a presentation concerning the activities of the committee at the February 15th meeting. This is a review that the Executive Board is doing of all faculty committees. Chairman Hertel distributed copies of the charges for the Graduate Committee for review. After much discussion, it was decided that the charges were correct and reflects the duties of the committee.
6. The next meeting will be March 2, 2000 in the College of Engineering conference room at 3:00 p.m. This meeting will be to consider petitions and the course proposal from Management.