Institute Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Full Committee (Administrative Matters, Academic Matters, and Petitions)
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Present: Benkeser (BME), Kubanek (BIOL), Parsons (MGT), Pikowsky (REG), Riley (ECE), Schatz (PHYS), Isbell (CoC), Agrawal (ChBE), Amekudzi (CEE), Tone (HTS), Barke (PUBP), Seitzman (AE), Colton (ME), Mihail (CoC)
Visitors: Bradd (REG), Carson (REG), Smith (Provost), Thomas-Mobley (COA/BC), Vidakovic (BME), Stein (ODOS)
Note: All action items in these minutes require approval by the Academic Senate. In some instances, items may require further approval by the Board of Regents or the University System of Georgia. If the Regents' approval is required, the change is not official until notification is received from the Board to that effect. Items that are marked below with an asterisk (*) require USG and/or BOR approval and are not official until approval has been received. Academic units should take no action on these items until USG and/or BOR approval is secured. In addition, units should take no action on any of the items below until these minutes have been approved by the Academic Senate or the Executive Board.
1. Administrative Items.
· A motion was made to grant authority to the Chair and the Registrar to act on behalf of the Committee between terms, during recesses, and when there is a critical time factor in dealing with a petition before the next meeting. The motion was seconded and approved.
· Subcommittee assignments for this academic year were confirmed.
2. A motion was made to approve a request from the Building Construction Program for three new courses. The motion was seconded and approved.
BC 4720 Introduction to Residential Property Management 3-0-3
BC 4730 Best Practices in Multi-Family Property 3-0-3
BC 4735 Real Estate Development & Construction 3-0-3
Note: Approval is contingent upon confirmation of the number for BC 4735 with the Registrar’s Office and an explanation of what the term “Media Shares” refers to in the documentation.
3. The School of Modern Languages requested acknowledgement of their intention to allow the changes for the Minor approved at the February 21, 2007 to be applied to current students as well. Since students may invoke either the catalog they were admitted under or a more recent one, this was considered by the Committee to be routine and not requiring any action.
The change approved on February 21, 2007 was: “Students must earn 18 credit hours of language electives, in a single language, and beyond the level of the 2001 course.”
4. A motion was made to approve a packet of requests from the Department of Biomedical Engineering to participate in the default Research Option, make a change in the courses option for the minor, add a new course, and make changes in the curriculum associated with the new course. The motion was seconded and approved.
Prerequisite Modifications (Information Item)
· BMED 3161: from BMED 2300 and 3160 and CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770* to BMED 2300 and 3160 and (CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770* or BMED 2400*)
· BMED 3500: from BMED 2300 and ECE 2025 and ECE 3741 and CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770* to BMED 2300 and ECE 2025 and ECE 3741 and (CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770* OR BMED 2400*)
· BMED 4783: from ECE 2025 and CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770 to ECE 2025 and (CEE/ISYE/MATH 3770* or BMED 2400*)
NOTE: *prerequisite with concurrency
Change in Course Options for the BMED Minor*
Under the list of “bioscience coursework”
· Add BIOL/BMED 4752 Introductory Neuroscience
· Replace BIOL 2334 with BIOL 2344 Genetics
· Replace BIOL 3331 with BIOL 3340 Cell Biology
· Delete BIOL 4469
Under the list of “biomedical engineering coursework”
· Add BMED 4400 Neuroengineering Fundamentals
· Add BMED/MSE 4571 Introduction to Biomaterials
· Add BMED/CHBE/CHEM 4765 Drug Design, Development, and Delivery
· Add BMED/ECE 4783 Introduction to Medical Image Processing
· Add BMED/ECE 4784 Engineering Electrophysiology
· Delete BMED/MSE 48XX
New Course and Associated Curriculum Change*
BMED 2400 Introduction to Bioengineering Statistics 3-0-3
B.S. BMED degree requirements will be changed to allow students to satisfy their statistics requirement by taking either CEE/MATH/ISYE 3770 (the current requirement) or this new course. A student should not be allowed to get credit for both these courses.
Note: Registrar’s Office will determine if 8 semester plan is required for the default research option and BMED will provide it if needed.
5. A motion was made to approve a request from the School of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering for a new course. The motion was seconded and approved.
ChBE 4020 Chemical Engineering in Nanoscale Systems 3-0-3
The Committee heard 3 in-person appeals (4 were scheduled but one student did not appear). All were approved except as noted:
1-late withdrawal Spring 2007
1-late withdrawal multiple terms – tabled, no-show
1-late selective withdrawal Spring 2007-09-17
1-readmisson after a second drop (1 denied)
Student Petitions Considered and Voted-Upon by the Committee
The committee reviewed one written appeal, one petition tabled from the previous meeting, and one new petition. All were approved except as noted:
1-late selective withdrawal
1-extend Incomplete deadline for Spring 2007 course
1-permission to graduate with less than a 2.0 GPA
Petitions Handled by Administrative Decision
The following petitions met the guidelines for “Administrative Action,” and were decided by the registrar under the authority granted to her by the Committee. All were approved except as noted:
3- Fall 2008 readmission after first drop
1-to return Spring 2008 after withdrawing Fall 2007