MINUTES OF THE GRADUATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
PRESENT: Bostrom (PUBP), Green (MATH), Fisk (PSYCH), Hayes (ECE), Hertling (ECE), Jagoda (AE), McIver (REG), Sanders (MSE), Will (CEE)
(REG), Cook (TFE),
A motion was made
to approve the
2. A motion was made to approve the report submitted by the sub-committee that reviewed student petitions. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
3. The Committee reviewed one petition to change a grade of “F” to “W.” A motion was made to deny the petition. The motion was seconded and approved. 9 yes, 1 abstention.
AE 8804 Special Topics (4-0-4)
AE 8805 Special Topics (5-0-5)
AE 6009 Viscous Fluid Flow (3-0-3)
AE 6410 Combustion Dynamics (3-0-3)
AE 6412 Turbulent Combustion (3-0-3)
AE 6414 Multiphase Combustion (3-0-3)
AE 6445 Combustor Fundamentals (3-0-3)
Deactivate AE 6010
BMED 8695,6,7 Teaching Practicum I, II, III (1-0-1)
MATH 6421 Algebraic Geometry I (3-0-3)
MATH 6422 Algebraic Geometry II (3-0-3)
MATH 6453 Geometric Topology (3-0-3)
MATH 6455 Differential Geometry I (3-0-3)
MATH 6456 Differential Geometry II (3-0-3)
Delete the designated tracks in the PhD program – Textile and Fiber Engineering and Textile and Fiber Chemistry – and replace them with an undesignated PHD. Students who are currently in these programs will be allowed to complete their degrees.
Delete the MS in Textile and Fiber Engineering and the MS in Textile and Fiber Chemistry. A Master of Science degree (undesignated) will be offered with a thesis and non-thesis track.
Change the course designator from TFE to PTFE.
Change the major from TFE to PTFE.
10. A request was made by the EMIL program to have a student’s status changed from special student to full graduate standing. This request was made to the Committee because the student did not have a bachelor’s degree. After much discussion, a motion was made to change the standing to full graduate standing, with the stipulation that the change is for this program only and does not guarantee acceptance to any other program at Georgia Tech. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
11. The Committee discussed the necessity of setting guidelines for exceptions to the admissions policy for executive graduate programs.
12. Maureen Kilroy requested that all students who have completed all but the fifth and final year of the diplome d’ingenieur degree at any French school of engineering that is recognized by the Commission des Tirtres d’Ingenieurs be admitted to Georgia Tech in graduate degree-seeking status. A motion was made to approve the request. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
13. The committee reviewed 23 petitions, all were approved unless noted:
5-to waive 6-year/7-year rule
1-to change grade I (denied)
5-to use credits/hours towards degree
1-to change standing
2-to register after withdrawing previous semester
6-to withdraw past deadline/change grade to W (2 denied)
1-to be readmitted spring 2003
1-to delete course from record (denied)
1-to waive 2 full term residency requirements
M. Jo McIver