Faculty Honors Committee
Thursday, February 17, 2005
Members Present: Kirsten Ely (MGT-Chair), Krista Hollingsworth (Student), Claudia Huff (GTRI),William Hunt (ECE), Ruth Kanfer (PSY), Paul Steffes (ECE), John McIntyre (MGT), and Linda Thomas-Mobley (ARCH).
1. After introduction of new members, we began reviewing candidates for the awards by discussing the criteria for each award and then the qualifications of the various candidates.
2. The committee discussed all nominations in each category until a consensus was reached in each category. The committee noted how helpful it was to have our student representative with us.
3. The committee made the following selections from the candidates.
Class of 1934 Distinguished Professor Award: Dr. Bryan Norton and Dr. Thomas Gaylord were sent forward to the President’s Office.
Class of 1934 W. Roane Beard Outstanding Teacher Award: Dr. Jeffrey Davis
Class of 1934 W. Howard Ector Outstanding Teacher Award: Dr. Roberta Berry
Outstanding Service Award: Dr. Carol Colatrella
Outstanding Continuing Education Award: Dr. Lawrence Kahn
Class of 1934 Outstanding Interdisciplinary Activities Award: Dr. Boris Mizaikoff
Class of 1934 Outstanding Innovative Use of Education Technology Award: Prof. Randy Abler
Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award: Dr. Dongmei “May” Wang
4. The Chair agreed to dispose properly of all confidential material, to inform the appropriate parties of the award winners and final two Distinguished Professor candidates, and to send letters to the nominators of those who did not win.
5. It was also agreed that it would be helpful to have a write-up of the Chair’s tasks in the record, so the Chair agreed to write it and attach it to these minutes.
Kirsten Ely, Chair