Minutes of the Faculty Status and Grievance Committee
Members Present: Margaret Horst; Gunter Meyer; Jay Telotte; Erik Verriest; Prateen Desai; Charles Ume
Members Absent: John Muzzy
1. The meeting was called to order at approximately 2:05 p.m. by Prateen Desai, who will be serving as Chair for the next three months while John Muzzy is out of the country.
2. Erik Verriest presented a written memo from the grievant in case 99-02 withdrawing, without prejudice, the request for a formal hearing on the case. The case is now considered closed.
3. Gunter Meyer reported that he had spoken with the grievant in case 98-04 who is also withdrawing the request for a formal hearing. In this case, the grievant has left Georgia Tech. The case is now considered closed.
4. Margaret Horst and Charles Ume presented a draft of their subcommittee report on case 99-04. The full committee discussed the draft and made suggestions. The report will be edited and distributed to the committee in the next few days and will be forwarded to the President soon thereafter.
5. Under old business, case 98-06 has been closed, but there are still outstanding issues relating to the process for classified employees to request faculty status. The Chair will ask the President for clarification of the faculty status process in a communication not related to case 98-06.
6. The proposed new Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): Dispute Management System for Georgia Tech was discussed. The Committee felt that there might be issues with the relationship between the FSGC and the ADR. The Chair will check with John Muzzy to see if he has additional information and will then seek clarification from the President and the Vice-President for Human Resources on the ADR.
7. The meeting was adjourned at approximately 3:00 p.m.
Margaret Horst, Secretary