GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

THE EXECUTIVE BOARD

 

NOTES

Meeting of June 16, 2015

Held in the Poole Board Room of the Wardlaw Building

 

With addenda recording business later conducted via email ballots

 

 

Members Present:       Balsam (Secretary of the Faculty, GTRI), Cross (EVPR), Dorsey (Staff Council), Eckert (GTRI-ATAS), Eisenberg (Ugrad. Student), Grover (Vice-Chair, ChBE), Kirkman (Chair, Public Policy), Canellas (Grad student), Powell (OSP), Shepler (Chemistry), Williams (USGFC Rep., ECE),

 

Members Absent:       Abrams (Ugrad student), Balch (CoC-IC), Bras (Provost), Butera (ECE), Clark (Staff Council), Coleman (GTRI-ELSYS), Gamble (CoA-Arch.), Hall (GTRI-CTISL), Hernandez (Chemistry), Peterson (President), Riley (ECE), Schnepp (Staff Council), Schumacher (Psychology), Simpson (OSP), Turner (Business), Wood (ECE), Zakir (Radiation Safety)

 

Guests:                        Cozzens (Vice-Provost), Herazy (Asst. Provost)

 

1.      Prof. Bob Kirkman, Chair, opened the meeting at 3:05 P.M.  He stated we had not made quorum for the meeting so would not be able to vote on any items so to expect an email later to seek approval for items needing FEB approval.  He introduced and welcomed Ms. Jade Sims, Admission Counselor here at GT, who is enrolled in Georgia Sothernís Higher Ed. Administration program and is here today to observe our meeting.   

2.      There was not a quorum so no vote was taken at the meeting on the minutes of the May 5, 2015 Executive Board meeting (Attachment #1)See addendum at the end for later approval via email.

3.      The Chair next called on EVPR Dr. Cross to comment on matters of interest to the Georgia Tech community:

a)      President Peterson was on his annual summer tour of Georgia.  Every summer now for about two weeks, he visits regents in their home officeís districts, important members of the legislature, speaks at rotary club lunches/alumni clubs.

b)     Dr. Bras is in North Carolina at the Department on Energy Advisory Board Meeting.

c)     The GT Foundation arranged for Mackenzie consulting group to do a study of how GT supercharges the Atlanta Economy. This is a pro-bono study. Dr. Petersonís leadership retreat on August 10th will be focused on the result of that study. Hoping that this study will help us communicate better the impact we have for elected officials/regents etc. be able to see what GT helps accomplish, maybe help with funding.

d)   New GTRI director Andy Gerber starts on August 1st, comes from MIT Laboratory. Went to Duke for undergrad and Yale for doctoral in physics.

e)   GTRC (Georgia Tech Research Corporation) and Georgia Tech Applied Research Corporation meeting last weekend went well, the finances from the research side looked very strong. Our expenditures are just about where they were last year, overhead collections are down just a bit (mostly because of sequestration from years ago has worked its way out of the system).

f)    FASET starts tomorrow.

4.   Prof Kirkman called on Ms. Jeanne Balsam, SoF, to present, Attachment #2, and seek approval of the August 2015 Degree List for the Registrar, Ms. Reta Pikowsky.

      a) Didnít have quorum so couldnít vote, but discussed how Rita Pikowsky usually brings the list to the Academic faculty to vote on approving the degree list.  Since we do not have an academic faculty meeting in the summer, the Faculty Executive Board is always asked to make the approval.  Rita has done the standard review by the colleges, the registrar then moves that this list be approved.  Elected academic members will have to do the approval via email (need 6 of 11).

5.   Victor Breedveld (chair of the IGCC) has an action item from the IGCC:

      a) Request for approval of two new courses, Attchment #3. The request came too late to be approved by the academic faculty senate in April, but they have requested for it to be approved here for the courses to be taught in the fall.  The proposal is as follows: There was a 7000-level computer vision course and they needed one on a Masters level. They now have a new course (number 6476), which is a Masters level course, and then an advanced course at the PhD level, which are being proposed.  We have gone through review of the syllabi; the committee had no issues with it and voted to approve it.  It is part of their degree modification they are making to their computational perception and robotics concentration. That request will go the regular route and be presented to the Academic Faculty in the fall.  Since didnít have quorum, this request for approval of the course to be taught in the fall will be done by email by academic members.

6.   Ms. Jeanne Balsam, SoF gave a preview, Attachment #4, on behalf of Rita Pikowsky and the IUCC committee. They also need a class to be approved for the fall. The new course is required by the Board of Regents as part of the revamping of the learning support program.  This course is a requirement of the USG. The class is Math 0399, a two-hour class in support of pre-calculus.  It will provide additional help to under-prepared students to succeed. Although we donít get many students who need to take this class, we do have to offer it because the BoR requires it.  Didnít make it to the April meeting of the faculty because of changing of the guard of the learning support program and the math department did take some time to review what the class is.  Must be offered in the fall to incoming freshmen.  Since didnít have quorum, will also be emailed for approval.

7.   In place of Martha Grover, Ms. Jeanne Balsam, SoF announces a vacancy because Mr. William Baerís leaving GT.  Martha goes back to previous elections; finds out if there is someone who was not elected, and asks them if they would be willing to serve.  Mr. Ameet Doshi is willing to serve, a term until August 2017, would go into effect next month.  Since didnít make quorum, this will be seen in an email. *Justin asks when Mr. William Baer is leaving, and Ms. Balsam answers sometime in July.

8.   Proposed revisions in Faculty Standing Committees passed out.

       As Prof. Kirkman rotates off the board, it seems appropriate to ask the FEB to authorize a task force to continue the work (formalize the process whereby Prof. Kirkman can continue work on this.)  Since there isnít a quorum, this will be brought up at the FEB meeting in August. 

       Prof. Kirkman discussed possible issues with temporary faculty of different designations.  Anyone with designation of temporary (visiting, part-time, and postdocs) are not able to participate in faculty governance and be elected to serve on a committee or the FEB.  This goes against the desire for everyone to have a voice.  Announced that in the future there could possibly be a task force that could work as a model of an eventual standing committee.

       In the past we have not messed with the faculty benefits committee or the welfare and security committee because they overlap in some ways with developments within the Staff Council, and the committees that they have formed.  We sat down with the chair of the staff council, chair of the staff committee, and the chair of faculty benefits committee. What was discussed was to open up a few non-voting seats on the faculty benefits committee for staff members appointed by the corresponding staff committee.  Interested in having some cross-connections between the committees with understanding when there is an issue of concern for all the employees it may be best to have joint discussions and recommendations.  With the Welfare and Security committee on the faculty side itís more complicated, because there are two committees on the staff side that seem to overlap with the Welfare and Security committee: the campus physical environment committee and the health and wellbeing committee. 

       After discussions and review, may want to remove the Student Computer Ownership committee and make it a standing subcommittee of the Scholarship Services committee. Simply because there is interest in streamlining this whole process and having perhaps fewer, better defined standing committees. There was a question if it should be a Faculty Committee or an appointed committee. 

       The Student Academic and Financial Affairs committee is still problematic though there may be some light between the SAFAC and the Student Regulations Committee.  It seems the majority of the tasks are to review student absences to approve or not. In the Student Regulations committee, noted that it is very much tied to the regulations in the GT Catalog. The review committee is willing to hear further discussion on this.

       Further refinements to what had been the Student Activities committee, which may need to be called the Student Organization Oversight committee. Questions about these refinements and what they mean. There is more mentorship opportunity in the changes that are being considered. Discussion and suggestion of how perhaps the Dean of Students (Dean Stein) would be a more appropriate ex-officio, and Director of Leadership and Civic Engagement would be a voting member.

       Prof. Kirkman said he needs to talk to legal affairs about the language of appeals and cases of dismissal that may run afoul of other procedures from the Board of Regents on down. Need to sort out a language that is much more precise.  Still need to talk with a few more individuals who include the Registrar and Dean of Students.

       Relationships between committees need to be specified much more clearly as to who is answerable to whom.  Statutes committee chair, Joe Hughes discusses overlapping definitions and when the Statues committee should begin to look at the suggestions for review.

9.      Prof. Kirkman then polled committee liaisons for any reports of matters that should come to the Boardís attention.  The following were significant highlights not covered elsewhere:

      a) Doug Williams, USGFC rep, discussed the May meeting with the Board of Regents, where they approved raises for the college/university presidents.  This caused a lot of discussion among members of the council.  Usually this council only has two meetings per year, none in the summer.  But recently there have been many teleconferences and strings of emails, where many councilmen are focused on the raise issue because most members of faculty have not received raises for a long time.  Most universities are worse off than GT because they are unable to find money elsewhere.  The council is trying to decide whether or not to send a resolution to the chancellor.

      b) Debbie Dorsey, Staff Council - conducted three Town Hall meetings in May. Many common themes the committee is working on a response and how to best communicate; one common theme was about leaves (for example maternity leave etc.), also working with the other staff councils across the state.

c) Cliff Eckert - Faculty Services committee has been very busy, they created an open-access website. Two of the members have been working with the web-government team to make the committee more prominent to faculty.

10. Hearing nothing further, Prof. Kirkman adjourned the meeting about 5:00 p.m.

Submitted by Jeanne Balsam, Secretary

August 23, 2015

 

 

Attachments

1)      Minutes of the May 5, 2014 Executive Board meeting.

2)   August 2015 Degree List approval

3)   IGCC Ė College of Computing curricular item

4)   IUCC Ė preview of curricular item for Math class

 

 

________________________

Addendum #1

The Secretary sent the following electronic ballot to the Executive Board on June 30, 2015.

 

Dear members of the Faculty Executive Board (FEB) Ė

 

We had great discussion with those who came to the Board meeting on June 16th, but we did not have a quorum under the present rules.  The following, then need to be decided by email ballots; please note that items #3 to #5 are for the academic faculty members only:

 

1.     Do you approve the minutes of the May 5, 2015 meeting of the Faculty Executive Board?

___Yes                 ___No                  My concern is:______________________________

 

2.     In accordance with our Statutes, do you agree to appoint, Mr. Ameet Doshi (Library) to fill the term on the Student Activities Committee from July 2015 to August 2017?  This is to fill the unexpired term of Mr. William Baer who is leaving GT in July. 

___Yes                 ___No                  My concern is:______________________________

 

 

The following items are academic in nature, and require only the academic faculty members of the FEB to vote:

 

3.     Ms. Jeanne Balsam, Secretary, for Ms. Reta Pikowsky, Registrar, stated that the list of summer graduates has been thoroughly reviewed by the Associate Deans of all the colleges and by the Registrarís Office.  On that basis then, do we as designated representatives of the faculty approve this list for summer graduation?

___Yes                 ___No                  My concern is:_____________________________

 

4.     Professor Breedveld, Chair of the Institute Graduate Curriculum Committee, presented a request to approve two new courses for the College of Computing, CS 6476 and CS 7476.  From the June 4, 2015 IGCC Minutes, do you approve this action?

___Yes                 ___No                  My concern is:______________________________

 

5.     A preview from the IUCC was presented in advance of an official request from the IUCC that was meeting at the same time as the FEB.  The IUCC has met and now requests approval of a new course that is required by the Board of Regents as part of the revamping of the Learning Support Program.  From the June 16, 2015 IUCC minutes, do you approve this action to approve Math 0399?

___Yes                 ___No                  My concern is:______________________________

 

It would be helpful to hear back from you if possible before Friday, July 3, 2015.

 

A quorum of the Board members having participated, all of the above were passed without dissent. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------