GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

THE EXECUTIVE BOARD

 

NOTES

Meeting of June 18, 2013

Held in the Poole Board Room of the Wardlaw Building

 

With an addendum recording business later conducted via email ballot

 

 

Members Present:        Bohlander (Secretary of the Faculty, GTRI), Bras (Provost), Downing (EII), Eckert (GTRI-ATAS), Peterson (President), Tavares (EVPR’s Office), Turner (Business), Vuchatu (GTRI-ESD), Washington (Grad Student), White (CoC), Wood (ECE), Zakir (Radiation Safety)

 

Members Absent:        Butera (Vice-Chair, ECE), Coleman (GTRI-ELSYS), Cunefare (ME), Gamble (CoA-Arch.), Kirkman (Public Policy), Lyon (Chemistry), Neu (Chair, ME), Picon (U’grad Student), Tyson (Chemistry), Weissburg (Biology), Williams (USGFC Rep., ECE), Wozniak (GTRC),

 

Guests:                        Cozzens (Vice-Provost for Grad. Ed. & Faculty Affairs), Flowers (IGCC Chair), Merkousko (Asst. Registrar), Neitzel (ME)

It was noted in reviewing the following at the August 27, 2013 meeting of the Executive Board that the above attendance did not constitute a quorum.  Consequently, the following are notes of what transpired and not official minutes.  Follow up email ballots have been sent to cover all votes taken below.

1.      Dr. Ron Bohlander (Secretary) opened the meeting at 3:05 P.M.  He directed the Board’s attention to the Minutes of the May 21, 2013 Executive Board meeting (Attachment #1). Prof. Flowers pointed out a typo which was marked for correction.  The minutes were adopted unanimously as corrected. 

2.      The Secretary next called on President Peterson to comment on matters of interest to the Georgia Tech community:

a)      The President summarized his summer tour of Georgia and reported that the Capital Campaign stood at $1.25 billion so far.  This put Georgia Tech on track to reach its $1.5 billion goal on time.  The tour covered 800 miles and nine cities.

b)      The President reported there would be a reception that afternoon for the outgoing president of the Georgia Tech Foundation, Mr. John Carter, who had served for fourteen years as the first and only president of the Foundation.  Prior to that, he had served as president of the Alumni Association for sixteen years.  Dr. Peterson noted that over a million dollars had been raised to support a new scholarship in the Tech Promise Scholarship Program in the name of John B. and Susan Carter.

c)      A movie called Million-Dollar Arm concerning baseball was currently being filmed in Georgia Tech’s baseball stadium, and the President noted that the movie The Internship, produced earlier at Georgia Tech, had been released June 7.

President Peterson called on Provost Rafael Bras to add some remarks:

a)      Dr. Bras reported that Dean Steve Salbu had announced his intention to step down as Dean of the Scheller College of Business at the end of fiscal year 2014.  Dr. Salbu planned to head up a center of ethics within the College.  A search team was being organized to conduct a search for his replacement. 

b)      The Provost commented on the planned online MS in Computer Science program that Georgia Tech would be offering on the Udacity platform.  He stated that a great deal of work and discussion was put into the preparation of this program by the College of Computing and many others at Georgia Tech.  The opportunity to do this was presented to the Board of Regents and approved by them.  President Peterson stated that he was very proud of the support for this program from the faculty of Georgia Tech.  He recognized that the support was not unanimous but the majority wanted to press on with this innovation.  He also highlighted everal other already successful MOOC-type courses.  As noted in the Daily Digest, a program of analysis and assessment of learning effectiveness in MOOCs had been launched.

c)      Georgia Tech had begun to prepare for the reaffirmation of SACS accreditation, due every ten years.  It was due next in 2015 and preparation needed to begin now.  Dr. Bras asked for the cooperation and help of the Executive Board to make this successful.  Georgia Tech’s efforts were under the direction of Vice-Provost Catherine Murray-Rust.  A faculty committee would be formed to develop a necessary Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP).  

d)     The Arts@Tech initiative was off to a good beginning.  An Office of the Arts had been opened along with a Council of the Arts.  A new director was being sought for the Office of the Arts to replace George Thompson who recently left Georgia Tech.  An External Advisory Board for the arts was being created.  It would eventually have up to 50-60 members to provide advice and help secure resources, but it would begin with about 25 members in September.  Dr. Bras noted that twelve sculptures had recently been loaned to the campus in an exhibition titled “Engineered Art: An International Sculpture Exhibit at Georgia Tech” and curated by John Henry.  Three more sculptures would be added soon along with descriptive plaques for all of them.

Dr. Bohlander noted that Prof. Andrew Lyon was wrapping up a three-year term on the Executive Board and had recently been announced as the new Chair of the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry.  Dr. Bras added that Dr. Ravi Bellamkonda was recently appointed Chair of the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech and Emory University, and Dr. David Sholl, Chair of the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.

3.   Dr. Bohlander called on Ms. Wendy Mercousko, Assistant Registrar, to present information about the summer graduation list and seek approval from the Executive Board on behalf of the faculty.  Dr. Bohlander reminded the Executive Board that degrees were granted at the end of the summer term to those who appropriately completed their program of studies within that period even though there were no commencement ceremonies except at the ends of the spring and fall terms.  Ms. Mercousko presented the information shown in Attachment #2 and reported that there were about 900 who would graduate in this cohort.  It was moved and seconded to approve the summer graduates as recommended and the motion passed unanimously. 

4.   Dr. Bohlander then called on Prof. Benjamin Flowers, Chair of the Institute Graduate Curriculum Committee (IGCC), to present minutes and action items from the May 9 and June 6 meetings of that committee.   Dr. Bohlander explained that the Executive Board was being asked to consider the approval of these items on behalf of the Academic Senate in light of the need for a timely response so that curriculum changes could move forward to the Board of Regents.  Minutes of the above committee meetings were available to the Executive Board prior to the meeting via http://www.facultygovernance.gatech.edu/CommittMin012-013.htm. In addition Prof. Flowers provided an overview in Attachment #3

Q.  What was the motivation for the course “PSYC 6000 – Responsible Conduct of Research”?  Ans. This was in response to requirements from NSF and NIH that all graduate students take such a course who would be involved in research funded by those agencies.  In the past, advisors were expected to convey such information to their students.  Q. Was safety also covered?  Ans. Yes, in an introductory way.

Q. For the degree modification shown in slide 7, was the number of required credit hours still the same?  Ans. Yes, 36 credit hours.

Dr. Bohlander went on to ask Prof. Paul Neitzel, Associate Chair for Graduate Studies from the School of Mechanical Engineering, to explain three proposed joint and dual degrees which were included in the recommended action items of the IGCC.  Prof. Neitzel explained proposals for the following using the attachments indicated:

·         Georgia Tech/Seoul National University JointPhD in Mechanical Engineering (Attachment #3a),
Q. What were the language expectations?  Ans. All classes in Seoul would be taught in English.
Q.  Did the College of Engineering have other programs like this? Ans. There were joint PhDs in BME and MSE with PKU in Beijing, China, and ECE had a joint PhD with Politecnico di Torino and Politecnico di Milano.  The proposed program with Seoul had benefitted from the lessons learned in those programs.
Q.  How many students were likely to participate in the program with Seoul?  Ans. 4-6 from each institution.
Q. Did this program need to go to Board of Regents (BoR) and SACS? Ans. Notification was necessary but not approval because the requirements matched existing programs already approved.  Vice-Provost Susan Cozzens agreed to double-check this.

·         Georgia Tech/Universität Stuttgart JointMS in Mechanical Engineering (Attachment #3b).  Prof. Neitzel explained that the study plan in slide 7 was designed to meet standards in the two institutions. German standards required many more credit hours than Tech required, but Tech students were allowed some offsets and only needed to do 3 more hours than other MS degrees at Tech to participate.  Again, Dr. Cozzens agreed to check on the acceptability of these arrangements with BoR and SACS.

·         Georgia Tech/SapienzaUniversità di Roma DualMS in Mechanical Engineering (Attachment #3c)
Q. Were American students expected to participate in the program, or would it likely be entirely Italian students?  Ans. It was designed primarily for Italian students because no accommodation was made for English in the SapienzaUniversità di Roma.  Dr. Bras recommended that ME investigate a possible association with the H2CU program at Sapienza.

o   Prof. Neitzel reported that the final letter of intent could not be signed by SapienzaUniversità di Roma until early fall.

It was moved and seconded to approve all minutes and action items from the May 9 and June 6 meetings of the IGCC, with approval of the Sapienza program contingent on completion of the Letter of Intent from Sapienza.  The motion was approved unanimously.

5.   Dr. Bohlander reported that Prof. Emilson Silva had left Georgia Tech and thus could no longer represent the Ivan Allen College on the Institute Graduate Curriculum Committee.  The nominations chair, Prof. Rob Butera recommended Prof. Kristie Macrakis (from HTS) to fill the vacancy from the present to August 2014.  It was moved, seconded, and passed unanimously to so appoint Prof. Macrakis. 

6.      Dr. Bohlander polled committee liaisons for any reports of matters that should come to the Board’s attention:

Mr. Raj Vuchatu reported that the Academic Services Committee wanted to know about two things:

·         Q. Who was going to set up the Open Access Policy and Implementation Committee called for by the Open Access Policy in Section 5.5 of the Faculty HandbookAns. Dr. Bohlander answered that the Library was responsible for implementation of details in the Open Access policy but the Provost was responsible for appointing and chartering the committee.  Dr. Bras indicated he had delegated making arrangements to Vice-Provost and Dean of the Libraries, Catherine Murray-Rust.

·         Q. How would results of the Statutes Committee’s Subcommittee on Faculty Redefinition be communicated to concerned faculty members?  Ans.  There would be regular briefings to the Executive Board and to the Statutes Committee and these would be reflected in the respective minutes.  Ultimately, there would be information sessions for affected parties, town halls, and proposals presented to the General Faculty.

Prof. Debby Turner reported that the Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee had been meeting via email to consider requests for absences from classes.  It was possible that the committee would consider some adjustments to the regulations concerning such absences based on recent experiences. 

7.   Dr. Bohlander asked if there was any further business and, hearing none, adjourned the meeting at about 4 p.m.

Submitted by Ronald A Bohlander, Secretary

August 23, 2013

Attachments

1)      Minutes of the May 21, 2013 Executive Board meeting, as corrected

2)      Report on the graduation list for summer 2013

3)   Overview of minutes and action items from the Institute Graduate Curriculum Committee meetings of May 9 and June 6, 2013.  See also minutes from
http://www.facultygovernance.gatech.edu/CommittMin012-013.htm.

a)   Proposal for Georgia Tech/Seoul National University JointPhD in Mechanical Engineering

b)   Proposal for Georgia Tech/Universität Stuttgart JointMS in Mechanical Engineering

c)   Proposal for Georgia Tech/SapienzaUniversità di Roma DualMS in Mechanical Engineering

 

________________________

Addendum #1

The Secretary sent the following electronic ballot to the Executive Board on

Dear Members of the Executive Board –

 

We have several vacancies on Curriculum Committees to fill to help those committees get off to a good start in the year ahead.  Please respond to the following questions:

 

1.      In light of the resignation of Prof. Chris Forman representing the College of Business on the Institute Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, do you agree to appoint Prof. Francis Ulgado from that College to fill the vacancy from now to August 2015?

____ Yes            ___ No,  My concern is __________________________________________________

2.      In light of the Prof. Koert Van Ittersum’s departure from Georgia Tech and his having represented College of Business on the Institute Graduate Curriculum Committee, do you agree to appoint Prof. David Sluss from that College to fill the vacancy from now to August 2015?

____ Yes            ___ No,  My concern is __________________________________________________

3.      In light of Prof. Martha Grover’s election to the Executive Board from ChBE representing the College of Engineering, she must now stand down from her position on the Institute Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.  Do you agree to appoint Prof. Benjamin Klein (ECE) to fill the unexpired term from now to August 2014?

____ Yes            ___ No,  My concern is __________________________________________________

 

Each of the above recommendations was developed by Prof. Rob Butera as Chair of the Nominations Committee in accordance with our Statutes. The recommended appointees in 1 and 3 were past runners up in elections to those committees, and in 2 there were no more runners up available and the college made the recommendation.

 

It would be helpful to have your answer back to me on the above questions by the end of the day on this coming Mon. 8/19 if possible, and by Wed. 8/21 at the latest.

A quorum of the Board members having participated, all of the above questions were decided in the affirmative without dissent.