Welfare and Security Committee
Coon Building Room 217, 2:30PM
WSC Members Present: Jane Weyant (COE), Frank Lambert (ECE) Chair, Carole Moore (Provost), Gail Palmer (ECE), Tom Akins (DOPP) Ex-officio.
Guests: Bob Lang, Director of Homeland Security, Mike Czabala, Cardiac Science
1. The minutes of our March 18, 2005 meeting were approved as presented.
2. Automatic External Defibrillators – Mike Czabala of Cardiac Sciences provided information on AED programs and demonstrated an AED unit for the committee. Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is the #1 cause of death in the US (465,000 / year). Two thirds of SCA deaths occur at home, work, or play. Survival rates increase from 5% without an AED to over 58% with an AED in the workplace.
An initial AED implementation plan for the Tech campus would require approximate 100 AEDs costing approximately $200,000. Initial training of personnel is estimated to be between $40,000 and $80,000. The Campus Recreation Center has nine AEDs in their building and has trained over 300 staff members.
The Welfare & Security Committee agreed to recommend implementation of a comprehensive AED plan for the campus at the next Faculty meeting.
3. Unsafe Spots on Campus – The annual Campus Safety Walk was held on April 18. Chief Crocker is planning to share the list of concerns at our next meeting.
4. Violence Against Women – Gail Palmer has encouraged Yvette Upton to develop implementation plans to address the goals of VOICE. The Violence Prevention Coordinator has been approved as a permanent position.
5. Motorized Carts – Leon McGinnis, Chair of the Executive Board, has discussed the proposed motorized carts policy with Dr. Thompson. Action on the proposal is expected in late summer. He suggested that the Committee follow up with Dr. Thompson during the Fall Semester.
6. Faculty Elections – Jilda Garton has been elected to replace Frank Lambert for 2005- 2006.
7. Meeting Schedule - Our next meeting will be scheduled in late August.