Academic Services Committee
Members Present: Lauren Ashman (ISyE), Jeffrey Donnell (ME), Lynn Fountain (GTRI), Joseph Hoey (OARS), Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Jerry O’Brien (CoS).
Members Absent: Carol Colatrella (LCC), Tom Horton (GTRI), Jim Sowell (PHYS), Jane Weyant (CoE).
Visitor: Les Saunders, Director of Capital Planning and Space Management at Georgia Tech.
1. Lynn Fountain called the meeting to order at
2. Les Saunders focused his discussion on maintenance and usage of classrooms at Georgia Tech:
Capital Planning oversees the introduction of new classroom space, it maintains existing classroom space, and it upgrades existing classroom space. These points were made:
Space: Thirteen new classrooms will be introduced at
· Maintenance of existing classroom space: Facilities is developing a program for regular aesthetic refreshment of classrooms, using 3-year painting cycle, a 5-year carpet cycle, a schedule for regular housekeeping. Emergency repairs are performed as necessary.
existing classroom space: Some existing
classrooms are poorly configured for our current needs. Such classrooms are upgraded when funds are
available and when space can be found for the courses that typically use those
classrooms. Major upgrades are planned for the
As the impact of new
Capital Planning oversees the scheduling of classrooms. These points were made:
· Due to heavy demand for space, Georgia Tech’s students and instructors continue to have difficulty finding adequate classroom facilities, particularly for morning classes.
· However, Georgia Tech’s classroom usage rate is low, as courses tend to be scheduled for morning and early afternoon meeting times, leaving classrooms underutilized during the afternoon and evening hours.
The committee discussed the need to look critically at scheduling practices as one potential answer to the space problem. Specific questions concerning scheduling might include these:
The Committee will next meet on
4. The meeting was adjourned at
Jeffrey Donnell, Secretary