Academic Services Committee
April 10, 2002
Members Present: Ron Bohlander (GTRI), Nancey Green Leigh (Arch), Jerry O’Brien (CoS), Carol Colatrella (LCC), Joseph Hoey (Acad AFF), Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Lynn Fountain (GTRI)
Members Absent: Ronnie Roberts (ChE), Beth Carey (EAS/GS)
1. Nancey Green Leigh, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
2. Minutes for the March 2002 meeting of the Committee were approved.
3. Committee members worked together to complete a resolution calling for new emphasis on classroom renovation and sustained support for classroom maintenance. The resolution also recommends combined funding for renovation of the academic commons area in the Price Gilbert Library in conjunction with construction of the Innovative Learning and Resource Center. The Chair will revise the document as recommended by the Committee and circulate the revised draft to the membership via email for approval. A copy of the resolution will also be emailed to Bob McMath, Les Saunders and Richard Meyer for their comments. When completed, the resolution will be forwarded to the Executive Board and, with their approval, presented at the first meeting of the General Faculty Assembly this Fall.
4. Ron Bohlander presented a verbal report on developments in the Distance Learning and Intellectual Property sub-committee. He indicated the sub-committee was nearing completion of a resolution that will be submitted electronically to members of the Academic Services Committee (ASC) for comments and approval. Balloting on this resolution will be via email unless comments from committee members indicate a meeting is necessary to resolve issues. After approval by the ASC, this resolution will be submitted to the Executive Board.
5. No additional meetings are planned for this academic year.
6. The meeting was adjourned at 10:55 a.m.
Jerry O'Brien, Secretary