Academic Services Committee
Minutes of September 19, 2001
Members Present: Ron Bohlander (GTRI), Carol Colatrella (LCC), Lynn Fountain (GTRI), Joseph Hoey (Acad AFF), Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Nancey Green Leigh (Arch), Jerry O’Brien (CoS), Mark Richards (Exec. Bd. Liaison), Ronnie Roberts (ChE)
Members Absent: Student representatives have not been appointed
1. Nancey Green Leigh, Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:05 p.m.
2. Minutes for the April 2001 meeting of the Committee were approved.
3. Ron Bohlander reported on developments related to the Distance Learning and Intellectual (DL/IP) Property Sub-committee.
· The Executive Board has approved the charge for the sub-committee.
· The Executive Board has been looking into IP related matters and may have a report on these activities at the September 26 meeting.
· Ron Bohlander attended a conference on DL/IP issues at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. This allowed him to learn more about changes in law as well as opinions, concerns and ideas of other universities related to these complex issues.
· Including the chair, the DL/IP sub-committee has 15 members including representatives from all Colleges, GTRI, Distance Learning, GTRC, Legal Affairs and the Library. Meetings of this sub-committee will begin this semester.
· The Provost has appointed Ron Bohlander to a continuing/distance education task force. Some issues explored by this task force will likely overlap those being investigated by the DL/IP sub-committee.
4. Carol Colatrella, chair of the Library Sub-committee, was able to convince the Library not to dispose of government health related literature that is useful for determining historic trends. The Library Sub-committee will work with the Director of the Library to develop a process that seeks input from interested parties before decisions to remove literature from the Library are implemented.
5. The Academic Services Committee now has two members on the ad-hoc Classroom Committee formed by Vice-Provost McMath.
6. Computing resources is part of the charge of the Academic Services Committee; however, the current infrastructure support by OIT and CSR/CSS personnel in the units seem to be providing adequate services in this area.
7. Nancey Green Leigh was re-elected chair and Jerry O’Brien was re-elected secretary of the Academic Services Committee for the 2001-2002 academic year.
8. The next meeting, scheduled for October 24, will include a report from Auxiliary Services on operation of the bookstore under Barnes & Noble.
9. The meeting was adjourned at 3:50 p.m.
Jerry O'Brien, Secretary