GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
SCHEDULED MEETING OF ACADEMIC SENATE
AND CALLED MEETING OF THE GENERAL FACULTY
Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 3:00 pm
Student Center Theater
1. Call to Order and Opening Remarks – President Peterson and Provost Bras.
2. Approval of minutes of previous meeting – October 23, 2012
3. Presentation of Degree Candidates – Ms. Reta Pikowsky, Registrar
4. Report of the Faculty Athletics Representative – Prof. Sue Ann Bidstrup Allen
of a new Academic Program Review process and appropriate amendments in the Faculty
Dr. Donna Llewellyn, Associate Vice-Provost for Learning Excellence, and Ms. Jeanne Balsam, Chair of the Statutes Committee
6. Recommendation of an Open Access Policy and appropriate
amendment in the Faculty Handbook
Prof. Ellen Zegura, Co-Chair of the Open Access Subcommittee and Ms. Jeanne Balsam
a) Proposed addition to the Faculty Handbook
7. Introduction of and plan for reviewing and adopting the 2013 Edition of the Faculty Handbook in a greatly revised format – Ms. Jeanne Balsam
b) Link to Draft 2013 Edition
8. Presentation of remaining annual reports and pending minutes of Standing Committees of the General Faculty
Benefits – Ms. Nazia Zakir, Executive Board Liaison, for Prof. Bettina Cothran,
Minutes: 12/5/11, 1/23/12, 2/27/12, 4/9/12 & 8/27/12 ... No action items.
b. Statutes – Ms. Jeanne Balsam
Minutes: 11/5/12 No action items other than those already covered above.
c. Academic Services – Dr. Amy D’Unger
Minutes: 9/5/12, 10/9/12, 11/5/12 No action items other than one covered in agenda item 6.
9. Presentation of pending minutes of Standing Committees of the Academic Senate
a. Undergraduate Curriculum – Prof. Pradeep Agrawal
Minutes: 10/30/12, 11/6/12
Action items: From 11/6: Appl. Physiology – 1 new course.
b. Graduate Curriculum – Prof. Benjamin Flowers.
Minutes: 11/1/12, 11/26/12.
Action Items: From 11/1: EAS – 1 new course; BME – modification of a PhD with a major in Biomedical Engineering, a joint GT and Emory Univ. degree, involving changes in required course particulars + modification in the MS degree in Biomedical Engineering, a joint GT and Emory Univ. degree, involving changes in course requirements + modification of PhD with a major in Biomedical Engineering, a Joint GT/Emory/PKU Program, involving changes in course requirements + 2 courses deactivated + 5 new courses. From 11/26: ME – 1 new course.
c. Student Regulations – Prof. Chuck Parsons
Action items: From 9/13: Revised “Student/Student Organizations Alcohol Policy”. From 11/1: Change in policies for Dead Week; change in the Student Code of Conduct involving protection for instructor’s intellectual property. From 11/15: Change in the Policy on Release of Information.
Academic & Financial Affairs – Prof. Craig Tovey
Minutes 10/9/12: No action items.
10. Any other business.
Ronald A Bohlander
Secretary of the Faculty
November 27, 2012