Academic Services Committee
January 15, 2008
Members Present: Margaret Loper (GTRI) (Chair), Bill Ballard (Exec. Board), Jess Chandler (SGA), Marlit Hayslett (GTRI), Judith Norback (ISyE)(Secretary), Jim Sowell (PHYS), Myrtle Turner (GTRI), Cam Tyson (CHEM).
Members Not Present: Nancey Green Leigh (CRP), Jane Weyant (COE).
The meeting came to order at 10 am on Tuesday, January 15, 2008, in Room 2100F of the Molecular Science and Engineering Building.
The purpose of the meeting was to select topics and a meeting time for spring semester 08.
Margaret led discussion. A convenient meeting time was set for the 3rd Tuesday of each month, from 10 to 11 am. The actual meeting times, due to spring break, will be:
· February 26th
· March 25th
· April 22nd.
The following are potential discussion topics, with tentative discussion slots shown in italics.
· Admissions (projected growth) [tentative March 08 topic]
· Fees (especially the Athletic Association)
· CETL (Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning)
· Classroom space
· Student integrity
· OIT (including information about whether a website exists for lost and found)
· SGA President and representative from the Graduate Student Association (GSA)—discussing what undergraduate students and graduate students need. [tentative February 08 topic]
· The Undergraduate Learning Center (Rebecca Burnett?) [tentative April 08 topic]
Jess Chandler offered to answer questions regarding the SGA. The main question raised was what liability faculty advisors affiliated with a student group have? For example, if a faculty advisor for a hang gliding club goes hand gliding with the students, what is their liability? This question was not answered at the meeting.
Bill Ballard, the Executive Board representative to our Committee, described his involvement with the Board. During each meeting, President Clough brings up the important issues of the week, for example, PCard; capital campaign. The agenda also includes speakers on topics such as NCAA recertification. In addition, the Board discusses changes to the faculty handbook. The Board members are from the faculty. Each entity votes for a representative for the Executive Board every three years, and each faculty Board member is assigned to a committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:40 am.