Academic Services Committee
April 19, 2007
Members Present: Jeffrey Donnell (ME-Chair), Bill Ballard (Exec. Board), Margaret Loper (GTRI), Judith Norback (ISyE-Secretary), Jim Sowell (PHYS), Jane Weyant (CoE).
Members Not Present: Linda Cabot (OIT), Nancey Green Leigh (CRP), Myrtle Turner (GTRI), Alex Wang (SGA).
Visitors: Nelson Baker, Associate Vice Provost, Distance Learning and Professional Education (DLPE) and Global Learning Center; Christina Pearson, Sales Manager, DLPE/GT Center
1. The meeting came to order at 3:35 p.m. on April 19, 2007 in room 202 of Tech Tower.
2. Nelson and Christina gave an overview of the services for which they are responsible. The slides they reviewed are attached. Several other main points were made:
· DLPE is a service arm and cost center of Georgia Tech whose staff helps Georgia Tech and other clients plan and hold a variety of events. DLPE also encompasses Professional Education, Distance Learning, and the Language Institute.
· The Global Learning Center is home to DLPE.
· When handling events, the staff work to make sure the mission is achieved and DLPE returns as much money as possible to their Georgia Tech clients. One of their goals is to “have happy people leaving the event.”
· Nelson and Christina’s primary role is relationship-building: between Georgia Tech and government, and Georgia Tech and industry.
· Key piece of information: the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center is a for-profit entity which is separate from DLPE. However, DLPE does have a relationship with them.
· During the last three years, more than 2000 events have been held by DLPE.
· When asked how potential GT clients who can’t afford space in the Global Learning Center should proceed, Nelson noted DLPE has worked with people to find funding for an event, and some people have opted to hold their event in their own space.
3. The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.