Academic Services Committee
September 20, 2007
Members Present: Margaret Loper (GTRI, Chair), Bill Ballard
(GTRI, Exec. Board), Marlit Hayslett (GTRI), Judith Norback (ISyE, Secretary),
Jim Sowell (PHYS), Myrtle Turner (GTRI),
Members Not Present: Jane Weyant (COE), Jess Chandler (student), Nancey Green Leigh (CRP).
Visitor: Andy Altizer, Director of Emergency Preparedness
2. Andy described the services for emergencies on campus. He works closely with the Police Department on planning and training for emergencies, including
· Sporting events
· Special events
· Lone Wolf situations (for example, Virginia Tech)
· Copycat situations.
3. Key questions and comments appear below:
· If faculty notices a problem, they should call the Critical Incident Response Team and/or the Counseling Office. Both offices are located in the Dean of Students’ Office.
· There are now 69 trained police officers on the campus. Currently a Georgia Tech SWAT team is being trained.
· Decisions on whether to close campus are decided by 4am by Bob Thompson, Executive VP of Finance and Administration.
· Emergency notice through email, voice, and text messaging is available for those who sign up at www.passport.gatech.edu.
4. Andy’s slides are attached.
5. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.