Academic Services Committee
November 15, 2007
Members Present: Margaret Loper (GTRI, Chair), Bill Ballard (GTRI, Exec. Board), Marlit Hayslett (GTRI), Judith Norback (ISyE, Secretary), Jim Sowell (PHYS), Myrtle Turner (GTRI).
Members Not Present: Jess
Visitors: Richard Meyer, Julie Speer, and Bob Fox of the Library
The meeting came to order at 9:30 am on Thursday, November 15, 2007, in the Wilby Room of the Library.
Rich Meyer gave the Committee an update on the
Rich Meyer told the Committee
Houser Walker of
· The layout is expected to be completed in December, 2007.
Currently campus bidding is underway for a firm to do the design.
Of the 18 firms who have bid on the design, four firms will be selected and
then reviewed by a team of architects from all over the
· Georgia Tech is scheduled to get $50 to $60 million in June or July 2008 from the State, for the building.
· Construction is slated to start in summer, 2008, and is expected to take two years.
Julie Speer answered questions before specifically
describing the Scholarly Communication and Digital Support Services of the
· The faculty will get more and more articles online and through email. Julie’s group is currently pushing reference liaison people to work with faculty in their own departments.
· There is a new faculty advisory group to Gary Schuster regarding the library. It is chaired by Ellen Zegura and includes ten faculty.
· At this time there is no formal group on campus working with the library. OIT does work closely with the Library.
· To get assistance with images, get in touch with Nancy Simmons.
Julie is the head of Scholarly Communication and Digital Services. Her contact information is firstname.lastname@example.org; 404-385-0089. Her slides are attached in pdf format. The topics she covered are:
· Digital Services and the Digital Repository (SMARTech)
· EPAGE@Tech (the electronic press at Georgia Tech)
· The Tower (an undergraduate research journal on campus; first issue in spring, 2008)
· Information Technologies and International Development
· Distance Learning and Professional Development
· Seminars, Symposia and Lecture Series on campus
Julie mentioned there is a great deal of campus participation in the above programs.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 am.