Academic Services Committee
August 26, 2008
Members Present: Margaret Loper (GTRI) (Resigning Chair), Marlit Hayslett (GTRI) (New Chair), Judith Norback (ISyE)(continuing as Secretary), Nancey Green Leigh (CRP), Peter Hesketh (ME), Helena Mitchell (CACP/SPP), and Cam Tyson (CHEM).
Members Not Present: Bob Fox (Library/Exec Board), Andy Jones (student representative), and Myrtle Turner (GTRI)
1. The meeting came to order at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, August 26, 2008, in room 2100F of the Molecular Science and Engineering Building.
2. Margaret led the discussion about a new Chair, and Marlit Hayslett agreed to take the position. (The responsibility of the Chair is to find people in certain organizations to speak to the Committee, locate a room for us to meet, and send out meeting notices.) Peter Hesketh volunteered to go to some of the faculty meetings. It was suggested that we rotate the responsibility among our members. Judith Norback offered to remain Secretary.
3. Times for next meetings were set as 9:30 to 10:30 on
· Tuesday, September 16th
· Tuesday, October 7th, and
· Tuesday, November 18th.
4. The list of topics already covered are:
· Capital Fund/Intern Program
· DLPE/Global Learning Center (GLC)
· Auxiliary Services (Bookstore, Public Safety)
· Emergency Communication
· Student Government Association (SGA)/Graduate Student Association (GSA) and research journal (The Tower)
5. List of topics for consideration for future are shown below. Interest was indicated in the underlined topics.
· Learning Center
· Student Integrity
· GTRI (relationship to Georgia Tech)
· Fees/Athletic Association
· Classroom Space/Campus Master Plan
· SGA/GSA and research journal (The Tower)
· Undergraduate Research
· How sustainability (“Green Tech”) relates to campus, education and academic services
· Services for International Students—writing, speaking, etc. affects career opportunities and GRA/GTA positions
· Global Campus/International Plan for Students (EU Center was funded again.)
· VP of Diversity/Partnership Program and Partnerships (Emerge Program)
6. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.
1) Marlit summarized by email the following topics:
· GTRI’s relation to campus (invitation has been extended for Sept)
· Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program/The Tower (invitation has been extended for Oct)
· Classroom Space/Master Plan
· Sustainability campaign/PR and how it is realized on campus (Nancy to pursue for November guest speaker)
· Services for international students and the International Plan
· Diversity/Partnership program (Spring)
· New Dean of the Library (Spring)
2) Marlit also asked others for suggestions: one committee member suggested we cover Emergency Communication again.
3) Our future meeting place will be the GTRI Conference Center at 250 14th Street. The room will be announced in advance of each meeting date.